Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Goodbye Home of 6 years

As can be true in life, things don't always happen as we might imagine. Our last month at our sweet homestead in Estacada has been a flurry of chores and lists that we didn't even come close to accomplishing. The goat barn is not cleaned out, the garden and orchard did not get mowed one last time, the moss did not get scraped off the roof, the walls in the mudroom are not as clean as they could be.

But the skylight that has been leaking from time to time got reflashed by a professional, the gutters were replaced, the house finally got painted fully. We laid carpet tiles in the kids' bedrooms.

Both of these lists could go on and on.

In the end, we find that what matters most are the "people" things.

We got to stay these past few days at my mom's house in Clackamas, providing us all some sweet early morning times. Frantic calls for help to friends were promptly and lovingly returned in the form of food, muscle, child fun, and in more ways than I can even think of in my busy brain at this moment.

We feel privileged to have been a part of our lives. We may be the ones moving, but we have not done it alone. Nor do we go alone. As we head out tomorrow morning on this adventure, we take all of us - our families and friends, our Portland and Estacada experiences, and our open hearts for what is to come.

2 comments:

  1. Good-bye Gilfords! I look forward to reading about all of your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there you are...off into the larger world and I drug my feet and didn't get a chance to say "happy travels" or anything. I will look forward to reading all about your experiences. Please know my heart goes with you. My thoughts and prayers go with you. I know you go off into the clear blue yonder with a heart that is open, full, clear and strong. Love you! --Cheryl Creel

    ReplyDelete