Sunday, July 24, 2011

Vietnamese Joke

Posted by Andrew:

Question:  What is the difference between Nguyen Kim and Nguyen Khim?

Punchline:  10 dollars in the taxi.

So far, pronunciation of Vietnamese has been one of the biggest challenges.  Yesterday we asked a taxi driver to take us to Nguyen Kim, a large electronics store where we wanted to buy cell phones.  We had been there once before, a 20 minute ride into District 1.  From looking at the map, I knew there were two ways into District 1, so when the taxi driver didn't go in the direction I expected, I assumed he was taking the other route.  35 minutes later, he pulled to the side on a strange street and said, "Nguyen Khim."  I looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings and I asked, "Nguyen Kim?" After several of these back and forth, including my pantomiming of cell phones, ipods, and floor fans, he finally got the point.  "Oooooh.  Nugyen Kim! Why didn't you say so?"  20 minutes and 10 dollars later, we arrived.

Pronunciation has also been difficult when telling taxi drivers where we live.  Our apartment is My Phuoc (pronounced Me F*ck).  There is another apartment which is larger and more recognized called My Phuc (pronounced Me Fuke).  With my strong American accent, it is difficult for taxi drivers to tell the difference.  I have resorted to just pointing the way when we get to our neighborhood.  However, when ordering large water bottles for home delivery on the phone, I had to loudly and repeatedly say the apartment name.

Water Company:  Me Fuke?
Me:  No, Me F*ck!
Water Company: Aaah.  Me Fuke.
Me:  No, ME F*CK!
Water Company:  Yes, yes.  Me Fuke.  What apartment number?
Me:  No!  ME F*CK,  P..H..U..O..C.  ME F*CK!
Water Company: OK.  Me F*ck.  What floor?
Me:  Floor eight.
Water Company:  Floor A.  Very good.  30 minutes.

Luckily the words for "hello", "thank you", and "I'm sorry" all have easy pronunciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment