Thursday, September 8, 2011

I'm tired and I wanna go Home.

I've been working a lot lately. It's good. And, it's exhausting. As the spouse and friend of many a teacher, of course I have seen the time and energy that teacher's put into their work. And now I am experiencing it firsthand. It's exhausting. Oh... did I say that already?

I feel so bad for this teacher who is sick. It is all completely unplanned. She was at school through Back-to-School night and then dropped. Almost literally. Into a hospital bed. First they thought Dengue Fever (you can bet we looked that RIGHT up on webMD), then they didn't know but were running tests. Now they think mononucleosis. And, just like a snap, my one day of subbing has turned into three straight weeks of middle schoolers. Who are so fun and goofy when they are. And so not when they're not. I think we are all getting sick of each other by now. I did hear from the teacher today. She is feeling a little better.... but only enough to check her email once per day. I'm not holding out great hopes for being home next week.

Andrew is away for a long weekend to attend International Baccalaureate (IB) training in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Later this month, he goes to Bali for a Week without Walls trip with sophomores from the high school. I get the kids and the middle school. Don't get me wrong. I am so grateful for all of these opportunities. In ALL their fullness.

And, quite frankly, I am homesick. Andrew is away and summer is ending in Oregon, which makes it harder to Skype and stay in touch with friends who are heading back to school.

I miss the sounds of frogs, crickets and creeks as I fall asleep at night. I miss the wag and greet of my dog's tail when she welcomed us home and the plunk of her head on my thigh when she wanted to go out and I was trying to get through that one more page. I miss our cat, Captain Whizbang, and how he would follow me around in the house every morning, just waiting for me to sit down so he could curl up on my green, fleece bathrobe. I miss writing to all of you. I miss talking to all of you. I miss good beer. I miss homemade pickles. I miss the sound of chickens scritch, scratching and cluck-clucking, calling out their pride when an egg is laid.

Everyone's fine. Everyone's good. Everyone's healthy. The water is running. And I just want you to know that I miss you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Debra! You made my cry first thing this a.m.!! : (

    I can only imagine what you must be going through. If I'm gone a week, I get homesick. BUT I do know that this shall pass...it will. It just is accentuated because of stress and Andrew being gone right now.

    You are so strong and adventuresome! I so admire that about you.

    If it makes you feel any better, the weather here is friggin' HOT and smoky from nearby fires (which have broken out everywhere) and we don't expect that to change anytime soon. Ugh.

    We do all miss your smiling faces and we think of you all often wondering how you are doing. I check your blog daily. I knew you must be super busy as you hadn't posted in a couple weeks.

    I hope the kids like school. How are they adjusting?

    Hang in there! You'll be back here again some day!

    Take good care - keep on bloggin'!

    : )

    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debra, et al... I miss you all too, and can only imagine what it's like to leave beloved pets behind not to mention friends and family. It has been hot and muggy and smoky! and windy here in Oregon but not complaining! Summer is all too brief! I am frantically working to get ready for my show at the Spiral Gallery in October. A bit frustrated as I have been having an unusual amount of cracking/breakage going on because of above mentioned hot and windy weather....I THINK? Who knows? But it will come together, it always does! Hang in there, homesickness will wear off. Go get you one of those sound machines, and play frogs, ocean sounds, hmm...wonder if there's a clucking chicken setting? Love and miss you!! Peace, Am

    ReplyDelete