Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stuck at Home

And so very happy about it!

With me working full-time at the middle school the past few weeks, we have gained some insight into why so many people here have household helpers. Things take a long time here. To pay a bill requires a trip to the bank (waiting in line), a trip to the place where you pay the bill (waiting in line), paying the bill and then the return trip home. Paying the electric bill can take half the day! Banks and bill-paying places are generally open from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm and, additionally, deliveries and repairs all happen between those same hours. Andrew has meetings almost every night after school, which makes it very difficult to get anything done.

Until recently, I didn't even have access to our bank account. That requiring a special form, filled out and signed, presented in person with passport in hand, by Andrew. And I won't even mention how long it took to get a debit card so EITHER of us could get money out of our account - okay, I would, but I have blocked it from my mind. I might be exaggerating, but I think it was around 6 weeks from our arrival date.

When I started subbing a few weeks ago, our hot water heater in one bathroom had just gone out, we were almost out of drinking water, there were VAT receipts all over town that needed to be collected so we could submit expenses to the school for reimbursement, and things STILL needed a thorough cleaning.

At the start of this week, the woman I have been subbing for was released to come back to school half-time. And then I got sick (nothing serious - chesty cough and no voice). Being sick allowed me to stay home. I know, huh, the sub calling for a sub! Being home allowed me to rest AND get BUSY!

Yesterday, all I could manage was a trip out for a few groceries and some cash. But I did mange some phone calls and online ordering..... So far today, I have received 3 large containers of drinking water, received and paid for a delivery of baked goods,  rounded up and recorded more than half of our VAT receipts, cleaned the kitchen, and have laundry in process. 

I am waiting for a delivery of groceries and, the hot water repair people. I don't know when they'll get here, but I'll be happy to see them when they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment